The Trustees of Reservations
Moose Hill Farm
CSA Blog
A property of The Trustees of Reservations
Moose Hill Farm CSA
CSA Info | CSA Sign Up | Farm Stand | Volunteer | Apprentice | Connect with Us | Visit Moose Hill Farm


Saturday, July 20, 2013

Last, but not least...Nichole!

Meet our third amazing apprentice, Nichole. 

"I grew up in the sprawl of Phoenix, Arizona, a hot and rapidly growing city whose nascent identity can sometimes psychologically strain the eco-friendly mind. I spent most of my weekends on respite from city life in the beautiful, unforgiving desert taking long hikes, discovering dusty trails forgotten by western explorers, and developing a very deep reverence for the environment and nature's intrinsic value.
I incorporated this love of the natural world into my coursework at Arizona State University, where I majored in political science and international studies. I found the courses pertaining to sustainable development, ethics, and food security to be the most valuable and began to fall in love with sustainable agriculture and the local organic food movement. After college, I joined AmeriCorps and served a year working outside on a handful of community garden and conservation projects, including rescuing stranded dolphins, oyster culling, and trail restoration! Longing for city life, I moved to Boston and worked part-time as the Allston Village Farmers Market manager and as a server at a "farm-to-table" restaurant. I quickly found myself engaging in the sustainable food movement on many levels but still longed to work outdoors with my hands, and was fortunate to find an apprenticeship at Moose Hill Farm.
Moose Hill Farm is the first stop on what I hope is a long career in sustainable agriculture. In the future, I hope to continue to research unconventional small scale solutions that can impact sustainable agriculture issues on a global scale, by empowering local economically disadvantaged communities to become food secure, and assist in bridging the gap between theory and what is achievable.  
Apart from being an activist and farmer-in-training, I love to cook, play music, paint and RUN!!! Hope to see you soon and welcome to the farm!!!"


Next week we will introduce you to our incredible volunteers, including the City Harvest Youth Crew, whom we also started donating produce to this week for their farmer's markets in Dorchester and Mattapan.  You will also learn more about how you can volunteer at the farm on Saturday, August 3! 

This week in your share you will still get to pick those delicious beans and you will also find a choice of herbs, cabbage, Swiss chard, summer squash, lettuce, cucumbers, onions, and maybe some other special summer veggies!  Got a great recipe to share with fellow CSA members?  Post it here on this blog as a comment!  Need a recipe suggestion?  Don't forgot about our recipe blog that we share with Powisset Farm...http://powissetfarm.blogspot.com/


Farmer Molly and the crew

1 comment: